Press "Enter" to skip to content

Disclosure: This blog recommends affiliate programs for readers. As such, this post may contain affiliate links, which means we may receive a commission if you click a link and purchase something that we have recommended. While clicking these links won't cost you any extra money, they will help us keep this site up and running! Please check out our disclosure policy for more details. Thank you for your support! Rafa & Dagi

How to Apply for a Visa in Poland on the Basis of a Marriage

Last updated on May 31, 2019

Spread the love

Hello dear fellows!

In this post I’ll explain the process for getting a temporary residence visa in Poland on the basis of a marriage to a Polish citizen. On completion of the visa process, you’ll receive a card called Karta Pobytu Czasowego (Temporary Residence Card), or simply Karta Pobytu. I have to say that this is not the most pleasant process to go through. This is due to the time it takes and the current busy state of the Mazowiecki Urząd Wojewodzki (sorry for being realistic here). But if you have a valid marriage with your beloved partner, this is just a matter of effort and patience.

As a Brazilian, I could stay in Poland for up to 3 months as a tourist without a visa. Since I wanted to stay longer than that, and also because I wanted to work in Poland, I applied for a temporary residence visa. Now I have just received my second temporary visa. The process was pretty much the same as the first time round. My first temporary visa had a duration of 1 year, the second one is valid for 3 years – Yaaaay!

The official information about this process you can find under the following links:

However, there is some information that is not quite right in the English version of (e.g. number of forms that they require). So I recommend you cross-checking the English and Polish version, and when something does not match, stick to the information of the Polish version.

Another good source of information is the website But once again, cross-check the requirements with the Polish version of

If you’re still in the process of getting married, you might want to check our other article that describes the process of getting married in Poland.

Ok, let’s delve into the Nutshell section.


Who can apply for this type of visa?

Anyone who is married to a Polish citizen, and whose marriage is valid in Poland.

Since I am married to a Polish citizen am I entitled to apply for a permanent residence visa?

At first, being married to a Polish citizen only entitles you to apply for the temporary residence visa – which by the way allows you to work in Poland. To obtain a permanent residence visa in Poland, you must have been married for at least 3 years, and must have been living in Poland under a temporary residence visa on the basis of your marriage for at least 2 years – more on permanent visa on

Polish citizenship by marriage: how does it work?

That’s another matter that does not happen straight away. After living for 2 years under under a permanent residence visa, you can apply for the Polish citizenship – more on citizenship on

Do I also need to apply for a work permit if I want to work in Poland?

No! You do not need to apply for any other document, the visa itself (Karta Pobytu) is all you need.

Can I work as soon as I apply for the visa?

Unfortunately not, you have to wait until the process is over and you receive the Karta Pobytu.

Does this type of visa entitles me to work anywhere else in European Union?

No, with this specific visa you can only live and work in Poland. You’re allowed to travel around European Union as much as you want up to 90 days within a period of 180 days, but this visa does not entitle you to work in other countries. If your partner finds a job elsewhere in EU, you can move with him/her and apply for the visa in this other country, and only then you’ll be able to work there. Unfortunately, you’re dependent on your partner in case you fancy moving to another EU country.

Where can I apply for it?

You apply for it at the Office for Foreigners of the Voivodeship Office (Urząd Wojewodzki). Since I was in Warsaw, I went to the Mazowiecki Urząd Wojewodzki. If you’re in another city, I suggest you checking in this link what is the office most suitable for you.

Do I need to make an appointment?

Yes. Since recently the people from Warsaw can do it through the link By the time I was applying for the visa, scheduling the appointment online wasn’t possible. I hope you guys can cope well with this new option. If you have troubles to schedule an appointment via the website, you can try reaching out to them either by phone (+48 22 695 67 71) or by e-mail ([email protected]). If you try to schedule it via e-mail, make sure you provide some information about yourself, such as full name, passport number, date of birth, and most importantly your phone number, since they might call you in order to schedule the appointment. More information about this can be found on

How much did it cost and how do I pay for it?

At the time of the application you need to pay 340 zł and you can pay for it either in the Office for Foreigners – where you apply for the visa – or via bank transfer (check it on this link for the bank information). Note that there usually is a considerable queue in the Office for Foreigners in order to make paymnents, I usually had a waiting time of 30 minutes. A second payment of 50 zł must be made by the time you’ll your Karta Pobytu, and the payment can also be made either in the Office for Foreigners or via bank transfer. Note that in this case the bank account is different from the first payment.

How long did it take the whole process?

The first time I applied for it, it took 4 months, while in the second time it took 5 and a half months. However, I have heard people saying that for them it took over 6 months to receive it. In general, unfortunately it seems that the process is taking longer and longer. Note that this refers to Warsaw, so in order cities you might get luckier.

What if my tourist visa expires during the process?

If that happens, you have no problem while you are in Poland. When you apply for the visa, they will stamp your passport informing that you’re going through this visa process – remind them of the stamp in case they do not do it. However, if you want to leave Poland this is a risk, since in other countries they might not recognize the stamp.

What if I indeed have to leave the country when my tourist visa is expired?

Guess what, that happened to me during my first application. There’s no such alternative document that they can provide you with to sort out this problem (I talked to many officers about it). But you can try to speed up the process, as I describe in the next question.

Is there anyway to speed up the visa process?

From what I’ve been through, there are two things you can do in order to try to speed up the process. The first one is making a formal request for acceleration of your process, and in order to do that:

  1. Write a letter explaining why you need to speed up your visa process (you need a genuine reason for that)
  1. Gather the proper documents that prove what you’ve stated on the letter
  1. Go to the Office of Foreigners and take a ticket number so you can deliver the documents
  2. When your time comes, tell the officer that you want to make a request for acceleration of your Karta Pobytu process and deliver the documents to him/her.

The second option is getting in contact with the officer responsible for you case via a web contact form. This can be done on this link. You just need to provide detailed information about your case. Afterwards, you can get some answers from the Officer, and hopefully speed up your process.


In order to apply for the temporary residence visa on the basis of a marriage, you must:

  • Have a valid passport
  • Be married to a Polish citizen
  • Have validated the marriage in Poland

Required Documents

As described in, the required documents you must bring with you when applying are as follows:

  • 2 fulfilled application forms (get it here)
  • 4 photos 35 x 45 mm
  • 2 copies of passport (all pages) along with the original
  • 1 copy of your beloved partner’s ID along with the original
  • Marriage certificate (akt malżeństwa in Polish) issued not longer than 3 months before the day of the application
  • Proof of payment for the visa (340 zl)
  • Proof of health insurance
  • Proof of income

The last two items (proof of health insurance and income) are not mentioned in, but the application form asks you about it, so it’s better to bring something with you that proves that. In the first time I applied for the visa I included a copy of my insurance card (my wife included me in her health insurance) and a copy of the employment contract of my wife as proof of income.

Personal input

The second time I applied for the visa, I included a copy of the health insurance I received from my employer. I also provided a copy of my employment contract as a proof of income. In general, if you are not sure whether you need to bring something with you, just make a copy of the document and bring it with you along with the original. Better safe than sorry ;).


They have many requirements regarding how these photos should look like, as described in In short, the picture must be:

  • Size 35x45mm
  • Colorful
  • Recent (not older than 6 months)
  • Good quality and natural contrast
  • Uniform background

You can also check the sample photos they have at this other link, which is meant for passport, but the instructions are basically the same.

Quick Tip – How to pay almost nothing for your document photos

On the post about how to exchange your driving licence for a Polish one, we gave a tip about how to get document photos paying almost nothing. All you need is a digital version of a photo that fulfills the requirements for the Karta Pobytu. Check it out the step-by-step guide.

Marriage Certificate

This document can be issued at the same place where you have registered your marriage in Poland (Urząd Stanu Cywilnego). In Polish it’s called akt malżeństwa. Make sure you have one that was issued no longer than 3 months ago.

The Process

Scheduling an appointment

The very first step is to make an appointment. For that, access this link and follow the instructions. It’s hard to say when you’ll find a free schedule, but almost certainly you won’t be able to find a schedule for the next couple of weeks. The last time I did it, I found one for 5 weeks later. My recommendation is: as soon as you can look for a schedule, do it! While choosing the date, think about the documents that are still missing, and analyze whether you’ll be able to get them before the appointment.

When you succeed at making your appointment, you should receive an e-mail telling you the date, hour, list number and the location in the building (floor and room). In case you do not speak Polish, I highly recommend you bringing your Polish wife/husband along with you. The officers usually do not speak English, so having someone who speaks Polish can be very helpful.

What to expect on the appointment day

Once the day of your appointment has come, make sure you have all the documents with you. If you have not payed for the process yet, arrive early enough before your appointment to make the payment. The step-by-step below describes the day of the application:

  1. When you arrive at the Office, look for the room number for your appointment.
  2. On the wall of the room they have some papers which are the lists. They contain the name of the people who have appointments for that day.
  3. Look for your list and then for your name to make sure everything is right.
  4. You can wait outside the room, from time to time someone will come out and call someone’s name.
  5. Pay close attention every time one of the officers come out of the room. They might not specifically say your name (it was my case). Instead, they will ask who is scheduled for that specific time and has not been called yet. (By the way, they are punctual about this schedule, so don’t be late! I have gone through this process twice, and in both times they were punctual.)
  6. Once your time arrives, the officer will get the documents from you, one at a time.
  7. He/she will collect your fingerprints.
  8. He/she will stamp your passport. This stamp is very important, since it states that you’re going through the visa process, and that entitles you to legally stay in Poland. If the officer does not do it, kindly ask him/her for it.
  9. On completion of the process, the officer will give you two documents:
    1. A document proving that you have applied for the visa.
    2. A document containing login information for you to check the status of your application on this website.

Next steps

Some weeks (or months) later, they might call you and ask for you and your partner to come to the office again for an interview. If you do not speak Polish, they will ask you to bring someone to be your translator – it can not be your husband/wife, or anyone from his/her family, so just bring a Polish friend. They will interview both of you separately, and they will ask the same questions and check whether they match. The questions can be about how you have met each other, how long you’ve been together etc. All these effort just to prove that your love is true 🙂 and that you did not marry each other only to get the visa.

How long the whole process will last? This is a tricky question, because lately they have not been able to cope with the number of applications. As I said before, my first application took 4 months, but I’ve heard of people who have waited for over 6 months!

Receiving the Final Decision

One shiny day you’ll hopefully receive information stating that the final decision of your case was made. This can be in a form of a call or letter. Sometimes they might call you from an unknown number so better pick these up. If it was positive, they will provide you with information regarding time and room to pick up your Karta Pobytu. Remember to pay the 50 zł fee regarding the Karta Pobytu issuance, and go happily receive your temporary visa. For me this was a long journey, so receiving the Karta Pobytu was like winning the Champions League 😉


This is not an easy process but I tried to make your life easier by answering as many questions as I could, and also by detailing the whole process. In case you still have some doubts, or something wasn’t clear enough, just leave us a comment below or reach us out via the About Us page. We’ll be glad to help you out 🙂


  1. achraf roots achraf roots October 31, 2018


    thank u a bunch for sharing u’r experience it is the most detailed post on the web ( and trust me i’ve been looking up things with my polish gf for months now ). we are looking farward to starting the same exact journey by the start of 2019 so may god help us! we will be in warsaw on january so am wondering if u guys are still in warsaw that way we can arrange to meet up for a beer

    Again, thank u for this post it made my day 🙂

    • Dagmara Dagmara November 1, 2018

      No problem:)) we are very happy that it helped you ! Please join us on Facebook at PartnersontheRoad and send us a message there when you arrive and we will try to arrange something:)

  2. Kyle Kyle March 11, 2019

    Hi there, thanks for the information it was pretty insightful. Are the health insurance and proof of income a must have? I will be working remotely but still earning a salary, is that enough proof?

    • Rafael Rafael Post author | March 14, 2019

      Hi Kyle,

      As we have talked on Facebook, those are requirements in the visa form. I will also write it also here since it can be helpful for other people.

      I think that if you can prove you have a regular income from your remote work, that should work.

      Another option is that someone from your wife’s family can write a declaration stating that he/she will pay for your costs while you’re living in Poland.

      However, since your case is a very specific one, I’d recommend you consult with a professional. It’s a long process and they can sometimes be very picky. So it’s better to avoid any mistakes or misunderstandings.

      Good luck with the process mate!

  3. Deborah Almeida Deborah Almeida May 29, 2019

    Thanks for all the information!! I am also Brazilian and I am moving to Warsaw next week. I am trying to schedule an appointment to open the Karta Pobytu but the online form requires a Permit to Stay number. Do you know what it is?

    Thanks a lot!

    • Rafael Rafael Post author | May 29, 2019

      Hi Deborah,

      How is it written in Polish? I suspect that’s a field for people who already possess a Karta Pobytu and are applying for a new one. In that case a residence permit number makes sense. If this is your first Karta Pobytu, I assume it’s not necessary. Are they requiring you to fill it in?

  4. Deborah Almeida Deborah Almeida May 29, 2019

    Thanks a lot for the reply!I

    t is called: Zezwolenie na pobyt czasowy, and they require to fill it (a number) in the application for karta pobytu.

    • Rafael Rafael Post author | May 31, 2019

      Hi Deborah, it does sound confusing. Unfortunately I cannot tell you much because I haven’t used this new system =/ I hope you can sort that out.


    ola, tudo bem?
    Eu me casei em junho e agora vou aplicar para o visa aqui em Warsaw.
    estou prenchendo o formulario mas na opcao C. nao encontrei a de casamento
    gostaria de sua ajuda nessa questao do visa.

    poderia entrar em contato ?

    meu telefonen +48 506 050 595

    • Rafael Rafael Post author | July 8, 2019

      Olá Renato, pra quem quer aplicar para o visto com base no casamento, basta escolher a opção “pobyt z obywatelem Rzeczypospolitej Polskiej”. Um abraco!

  6. Yna Yna July 16, 2019


    I was wondering, once I apply for the card and they stamp my visa so I can stay, if I can go outside Poland while it’s being processed and come back under a new Schengen visa (because I’m guessing the stamp won’t be valid once I exit).

    I really don’t want to sit with in laws while waiting if it was approved or not if I can work a bit back in my country.
    Hope you guys can help me. Thank you.

    • Rafael Rafael Post author | July 26, 2019

      Hi Yna! The Visa process in Poland is really a annoying. Unfortunately, I can’t help you much with the Schengen visa topic. But regarding the Karta Pobytu process, I must say that there are a couple of risks if you leave Poland during its process:

      1) They might send you a physical letter requesting you to come for the foreigners office to either bring more documents or for doing an interview. If you are abroad, you can miss this communication. Even if someone communicates you about it, you might need to schedule a flight for the following week, since they do not always schedule it much in advance
      2) As far as I know, the stamp allows you to leave and return to Poland. The problem is that other EU countries might no recognize it. So I think you can leave and enter Poland, but it’s better to avoid customs in other EU countries.

      I hope your Visa process doesn’t take as long as it does for some people. Good luck!

  7. Nipuna Shehan Nipuna Shehan August 30, 2019

    Hello..I’m from Sri Lanka and hope to arrive Poland about next month via a local agency to work in the Country…I was observing throughout the internet about information regarding these processes and whatnot… So I’m grateful for these valuable details which you have provided in this website. Thanks again.

    • Rafael Rafael Post author | August 30, 2019

      We are very happy that it has been of help! Good luck with your move 🙂 feel free to check also our FB page under the same name where we post more curiosities about Poland

      • Joel Joel November 19, 2019

        Hi, thanks a lot

        This is very helpful

  8. Bobby Bobby September 3, 2019

    Thanks, that’s pretty concise, my soon to be wife is a polish citizen and I’m a Scottish man, brexit scuppered the original plan but this seems to be the way to go now, it’s not quite so complicated after finding this blog, it’s a fantastic wee guide 🙂

    • Rafael Rafael Post author | September 3, 2019

      I’m glad this post is useful for you Bobby. The process itself is simple, but the time it takes is the real pain. I hope it goes smoothly for you 🙂

  9. Maki Maki October 4, 2019

    Thanks for an insightful article! I applied for the Karta Pobytu in May using an immigration service agent, but my passport was not stamped. The agent has informed my husband and I that we have been invited for an interview next week. Can you please give a few more examples of questions to expect? Also my Schengen visa expired not long after I applied, will I have any problems since my passport was not stamped?

  10. Pee Pee December 9, 2019

    With a valid visa can I still get married in Poland

    • Rafael Rafael Post author | January 30, 2020


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *